So you just purchased a new flat iron but not sure where to start? No problem, first read the operating instructions that came with your flat iron and then follow these guidelines to create 3 of the most popular straight hairstyles. It's easier than you ever thought and can save you a bundle at the hair salon. Before you start, there are some important things you should know.
1 .Don't ever use a flat iron on wet hair! Even if your hair is a little damp because you may cause damage to your hair causing it to be scorched and have permanent damage.
2. Make sure your hair is clean prior to using any flat iron. You should use a shampoo and a conditioner suitable for your hair. Then apply a leave in conditioning spray to protect it.
3. Control the heat of the flat iron wisely as over heating your hair may cause damage. Use the paper tip before applying the iron to your hair. Take a small paper misted with water and put it in between the flat iron plates. If the paper gets dry but not scorched, then the heat is properly set.
Size matters and usually smaller is better. If you are an average woman who doesn't have very long hair, you should use a flat iron with a size of up to 2 inches. Wider flat irons are available but are heavier and less efficient for the average person. Also remember it's a good idea to work with small hair sections. That way, all hair will be straightened evenly and there will be less heat transactions over your hair.
Jennifer Aniston made this hairstyle a smash when she was on Friends and is probably the most well know celebrity associated with straight hairstyles.
Start with a conditioning shampoo. Towel dry flat and add a leave-in conditioner. This will help flatten your hair down and make it soft. Remember to keep the conditioner in for at least 2 minutes. This prevents drying or damaging your hair. Add hair serum and an equal amount of hair gel to your hair to make it sleek and shine. This will get rid of frizziness and keep your hair looking silky.
Blow dry your hair using a round brush, making sure you point the nozzle of the dryer down the hair shaft. Once your hair is dry and straight as you can get it, use the flat iron by inserting a 2 inch section of hair between the plates, gliding down your hair from root to tip. This is the key part of the style. Use a shine spray product. Spray it on a section of your hair, then flat-iron it but don't brush it afterward.
Wash your hair with a conditioning shampoo, towel dry and use your leave in conditioner. Separate your hair into 2" sections and blow dry with a round brush, starting near the back and working around to the front on both sides.
To create extra volume, hold your brush in the hair near the scalp for 4 to 6 seconds and then move the brush down and through, to the ends of the hair.
For a super straight finish, use the flat iron to touch up any areas that require a smoother texture. Spray lightly with hair spray. Finish by applying a shine serum and lightly brush across the surface of your hair.
Follow the steps of the "chic" style above until your hair is nice and straight. Apply a firm hold hair gel to the top and sides as you brush back into a tight ponytail. Once firmly in place, spray the front sides and back with firm hold hair spray.
Take a two inch strip of hair from the underside of the ponytail and wrap it around the band holding your ponytail in place. After securing with pins, back comb the remaining hair.
Now take the sections of back combed hair and wrap it around your index finger. This will create a barrel curl. Hold the curl and then pin in place with bobby pins. Continue this until all your hair is rolled and pinned. Finish and hold hair spray.
1. Use a round brush made of boar bristle. It really helps pulling the curl out of your hair!
2. To prevent the frizzies use a small amount of hair serum. Apply the serum to damp hair or towel dried hair.
3. It really helps to use a towel to dry your hair before using the dryer. Don't get it too dry because then it's harder to get out the curl.
4. Using a flat paddle brush while blow drying your hair straight saves time and also makes your hair straighter.
5. Move the brush and the blow dryer vertically, directing airflow down the hair shaft. This will also create shine as you close the cuticle.
6. After you blow dry with heat, go over your hair with cold air from the dryer. It makes hair shiny and smooth's out kinks.